Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Amazing Meatloaf

I was very excited to see my meatloaf recipe in the March issue of Fort Bend Lifestyles magazine! It has been a favorite of mine for probably 10 years or so and I have made it to welcome many new babies and for my family many times! So when the Fort Bend Jr. Service League began making announcements about submitting recipes for the 2nd League cookbook (due out this Fall!), I decided it should go in for testing. The committee chair, Julie Wilson, told me she & her husband tried it and his comment was "it's a party in my mouth". I love that! So try it and let me know what you think. Here's the recipe in case the link above doesn't work.

Amazing Meatloaf
2 T butter
3/4 cup onion, chopped
3 green onions, choppen
2 t. garlic, about 2 cloves minced
2 large eggs
1 cup ketchup (divided)
1/2 cup milk
1 T + 1 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t salt
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound pork sausage
3/4 cup dried Italian bread crumbs

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a skillet and saute onions, peppers & garlic 8-10 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, beat eggs in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in 1/2 cup ketchup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Add onion mixture & meats. Add bread crumbs. Mix with a wooden spoon or smush with your hands until well blended. Pat into a greased 12x5x2" loaf pan. Brush with the remaining ketchup. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 155 degrees. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Mixture can be made ahead into a loaf, wrapped tightly and frozen as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment